Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Recent portraits

   A few weeks ago I spend an afternoon photographing my friend, Tabitha who is also a part time model. I often draw people but rarely have any good photos of my own to work from so I have been practicing my drawing from random photos of the internet and, of course, I can not share my work from them publicly. Ideally I should like to work from live models, and I do as much as I can, but that is not possible a lot of the time and so I have had to get some of my own reference photos. Here are a couple of my best works from the photos I took.


Tabitha: oil on board aprox. A3. The painting was a present for another friend, her boyfriend.

 
   Recently I have been inspired by the amazing artist Susan Lyon. Particularly her pastel drawings of people. I bought her video on drawing and was very pleased with it and learned so much. Especially about the importance of accuracy, measuring and remeasuring, and taking my time. I often have a tenancy to rush things! After three unsuccessful drawings of Tabitha I managed to draw the above and am happy with it. I took my time to measure and not rush all over the place putting down useless stuff.

   Enjoy! I am sending out my newsletter soon. If you are not already subscribed you can do so here.

4 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous! Sometimes when people do portraits they look sort of skewed, but yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is my constant effort to make faces least skewed as possible!! :)

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful, Felicity! I have always wanted to sit for a portrait but so many times they don't end up looking much like the model. I love how you captured the vividness of Tabitha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I'd love you to sit for me one day... It will happen. :-)

      Delete