Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Introducing Caleb

   I think it's about time I properly introduced the co-author of this crazy plan, 'The Art of a Hut'. Caleb Bergstrom, is his name, and if it wasn't for him I don't think I would have been able to get on so far with the project as I have. It would have merely been one of those ideas one has and thinks, in passing, how awesome it would be to be able to do that one day, and which never happens. But, thanks to Caleb's enthusiasm, and because I have someone to do it with who is just as much involved and interested as I from the very start -- well, it looks like I might just happen to find myself drawing and living in backcountry huts for six months of my life very soon.


   Caleb is from Hawkes Bay, which is a long drive south from up here in Northland. He was staying with us when we came up with the idea of drawing huts. You see, he had applied to enter the army as an engineer and had been waiting all year to see if he would get it, but, while he was up here, he found out that he hadn't gotten in. That was a disappointment for him, but he is now free to help with The Art of a Hut project and become the co-author of our eventual book. So, he is going to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to explore our country. 
  

  He is looking forwards to spending a whole summer and more tramping and he's planned allot of hunting and fishing. Hopefully he will be able to keep the three of us fed!


  The third person in our adventure will vary. For the first two months our friend, Thomas, will be coming with us. And after that we have several friends who want to come along when they can fit in. We are planning to go in Caleb's tiny white Toyota starlit, I'm wondering how we will manage to fit into it, it will certainly make things interesting! 

   Caleb has promised me he will write a post or two for this blog himself sometime soon, so hopefully that will give you a further glimpse into who he is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment